   Re: what Napster means for XML

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>, XML-Dev List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:31:51 -0400

At 01:14 PM 4/25/00 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>Clearly, both approaches can work, but I don't think it's very
>responsible to push either as The Solution To Every Problem.
>Basically, a peer-to-peer system can make high-demand items available
>more easily by spreading the cost of distribution among more users,
>while a client-server system can make all items available predictably
>and in an easily-referenced location.  Look at the kind of information
>you're publishing, and make the choice.

Agreed - but right now it seems like most vendors and many others are
focusing on the client-server model as TSTEP (The Solution...) while
peer-to-peer isn't getting much attention.

Perhaps it's just that the client-server model is a better fit for the
approach relational vendors have encouraged over the years, but I'd like to
think XML opens up a wider range of possibilities than centralized data
warehousing and widely distributed but barely shared binary files have
provided so far.

Peer-to-peer needs a lot of infrastructure work and no small amount of
selling to catch on, but it seems like critical work to me.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com