   Re: Unofficial state of the system

  • From: Walter Underwood <wunder@ultraseek.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:20:41 -0700

--On Monday, April 24, 2000 10:27 AM -0700 James Duncan Davidson <james.davidson@Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>> It's been a long time since I had to think about managing lists
>> on a daily basis. What's the current state of the art? I've used
>> Majordomo in the past, and that's what OASIS is running now, is
>> that still the best choice?
>
> We've moved all of apache off to qmail and ezmlm.. Much better now.
> Throughput is up and ezmlm has all sorts of list management features
> that most others don't (that I know of) including detecting when a user
> goes unavailable for a while and then detecting when that user comes
> back and offering to send the messages that the user missed out on.

Unfortunately, qmail likes to send each message as a separate
job, so that it will make multiple connections for people served
by the same server Sendmail has the opposite problem, sending
everything as one job, so half the list will wait for a slow server
to connect (or not).

For maximum efficiency, you need multiple jobs, but everything
for one mail server in the same job. This is what bulk_mailer
tries to do. It groups the mail by destination domain, then
breaks it into separate sendmail transactions.

The only thing I disagree with in bulk_mailer is that the README
strongly suggests avoiding the Precedence header. But just enough
vacation programs pay attention to that, so it is really worth
adding the "-precedence bulk" flag.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood
Senior Staff Engineer, Infoseek Software