   list server: fixes for the mail list

  • From: "Karl Best" <kfbest@earthlink.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:46:02 -0400

(In keeping with Norm's scheme, I'll put "list server" in the subject line.)
This is just a short, off-topic email message to introduce myself....

I've just in the last few days been hired by OASIS as Director of Technical
Operations. My primary responsibility is managing the standards efforts
taking place in the consortium, under the direction of the OASIS CTO, but I
also have responsibility for the technical infrastructure of the consortium,
including mail lists, web pages, etc. My hiring demonstrates the OASIS
board's committment to solving the problems that this and other OASIS mail
lists have experienced.

We acknowledge the problems the lists have been experiencing and your
frustrations with an undependable list, realize the importance of this list
to XML developers, and are doing what we can to solve the problems you have
been experiencing. Your messages and complaints have not fallen on deaf
ears; its just that the consortium has not had the resources to fix the
problems you have been experiencing.

You've seen a number of messages over the past couple of days from Norm
Walsh, who has started doing the technical administrative work required to
get the lists running correctly. Norm is looking at the configuration of the
mail server and hopes to be able to clean things up quite a bit. I would
like to publicly acknowledge and thank Sun Microsystems for their support in
lending us Norm's help.

I will do my best in the future to keep you up to date with what is going on
with the mail lists. Please give us another day or two to get things worked
out, then let me know if you experience further problems.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS
Director, Technical Operations