   RE: XSLT with a longer wire == SOAP?

  • From: "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • To: "'Larry Masinter'" <LM@att.com>, "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 02:08:01 -0700

Then why did HTTP/1.0 and greater support POST, which inherently rendered
URI as user-clickable entities fairly useless. Most HTML FORM posts use
HTTP-based URI, yet clicking one embedded in an email message is unlikely to
yield the expected results. That is no different than the URI I listed here.

> SOAP shouldn't use http URLs, SOAP shouldn't use HTTP on port 80.

I assume that you view CIM Over HTTP/WBEM, which is functionally a close
cousin of SOAP over HTTP, as equally wrong? Or the various ORB vendors'
(including MS and Sun) attempts to shoehorn all or part of their RPC
protocols through HTTP as pretty bad too?

I believe we've all heard the arguments against using HTTP for non-hypertext
applications (if not, the SOAP archives have several old/dead threads on
this one that go nowhere). The argument is largely academic given the
propensity of developers with free will and free software to support them.
The reality is that Apache became the "application server" of choice whether
you or I choose to use it or not.

At the end of the day, the case against HTTP is similar to the case against
fatty food. No matter how many pundits and experts trot out pictures of the
fat deposits harvested from the autopsies of overweight dead people, people
will give into their desires and indulge in various guilty pleasures. I
applaud your long-standing opposition to developers using HTTP for anything
other than surfing web pages in HTML and supporting multi-media formats, but
I am afraid you will have to convince far more people than just the readers
of this list to stop the adoption of HTTP in ways you may not like.

I'm really sorry,
DB
http://www.develop.com/dbox