   Re: List server: web archives...

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo@hesketh.com>
  • To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:30:53 -0400 (EDT)
On 28 Apr 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / "Betty L. Harvey" <harvey@eccnet.eccnet.com> was heard to say:
> | much easier to get going than Majordomo IMHO.  It is
>
> I love the format of the Mailman archives, but I'm under enough
> stress as it is without trying to replace Majordomo. I'm hoping
> to find something that'll just do archives.

Mailman uses "pipermail" by default, which is just a rendition of
hypermail, Kevin Hughes' ancient and abandoned archiver. Hypermail has
been revived, however, and there is now a 2.0 version out and about,
so all the folks with pipermail and Mhonarch archives are switching
back to hypermail, as near as I can tell from the discussions I've
had with other Mailman users.

Mailman, FWIW, is great - if you like/know Python. If not, then it's
not. I use both Mailman and Majordomo, and like that I can hack the
Perl source for Majordomo and find it frustrating (but not frustrating
enough to learn Python) that I can't with Mailman. And the 2.0 beta
has garnered a lot of complaints - I wouldn't call it ready for
production usage just yet.

At any rate, worth checking out the new Hypermail:

 http://www.hypermail.org/

They've done all of the stuff I had hacked into my copy of hypermail
1.03, and then some.

Steve

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: <http://hesketh.com/careers/>