   Re: XSL Translations using Java Servlets / JSP

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:28:19 -0700

> In fact, doesn't essentially every Java XSLT engine
> come with some servlet?  I recall XT does too.

Yes, it does, but 'default' servlet which comes with XT
is very 'brutal'.

> What I don't recall is which ones use the
>
>     <?xml-stylesheet ... ?>
>
> PI to figure out what stylesheet to apply, but I could
> easily have missed noticing that facility!

For example, 'default'  XT Servlet assumes that
'servlet equals to the stylesheet'. That's why
there are many possible variations with stylesheet
caching, reloading e t.c. Also, placing  <?xml-stylesheet ... ?>
into XML file ( in case you are processing
the XML file, not generating it out of the
database or other source ) is kinda limiting.

What if I like to generate 2 different layout's out of
the same XML file ? The simplest solution for such a
'collision' could be  providing  the name of the
stylesheet as a parameter, I think e t.c.

Rgds.Paul.