   Re: XSL Translations using Java Servlets / JSP

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: Chris@Bayes.co.uk, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:38:22 -0700

> Checkout www.bayes.co.uk/xml if you have ie5 for a hypoteteical usecase.

<ie5_screen>
"The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet.
Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. "
Unexpected failure
</ie5_screen>

This is from this website. Hard to reproduce. It appears
( occasionaly ) in 'Announcements' and 'Vote '. It happened
after I pressed on 5-6 hyperlinks. Don't think such a level of
robustness  is in any way acceptable for something I call
website - but probably it is.  ( When I'm saying "there is no
Mozilla browser"  - I mean that there is no application wich
is robust enough to be comparable to some other ...
applications ... )

Anyway. It is cool, I think.

I just don't udnerstand why can't you do the same with
server-side rendering ? .. Anyway stylesheet is strongly
CSS based...  And it will be reliable ;-)

I would like to explain my previuos letters a bit.

No doubt, people can ( and usualy are ) using
even crazy tools to build some things with those tools.
They can even build a nice web pages inserting
1x1.gif's into 'appropriate' place.

Regarding the word 'hypotetical' - you are right
and I'm wrong:

People do use <?xml-stylesheet to bing XSL to XML.
People  validate XML documents inserting <SYSTEM
into well-formed XML document on the fly ( because
'that's the standard way to invoke the validation if you
don't want to pollute the document with hardcoded
path to DTD's), people are suggesting things like:
"place your variable outside the XSL stylesheet
and then use document() to convert it into node-set,
because it is somehow standard way in XSL".

The <?xml-stylesheet provides some way of binding.
But this way is not scalable. The scalable way should
allow:

rendering any document with any stylesheet without
changing the document itself an any point of processing.

( validating any document with any DTD without changing
the document itself  - but that's not as important as it is
with the stylesheets ).

And this 'realy-scalable-way' has nothing to do with
<?xml-stylesheet 'standard'  way of (hardcoded) binding.

Rgds.Paul.

BTW. I have looked at the 'internals' of  www.bayes.co.uk/xml
and  I think that if you will have many  pairs like 'toc.xsl'  for
'index.xml' ( but not 'index.xsl'  )  - the site could become
unsupportable mess pretty fast.  If you will have 'index.xsl'
'index.xml' pairs - you don't need  <?xml-stylesheet at all,
if browser will use 'favicon.ico-alike behavior".

That was my point.

Not  that "it is impossible to build something
with MS IE XSLT dialect". It is possible - sure. Your
stylesheet will just fail with almost any other XSLT
implementation. If you don't belive me - try rendering
your xml files with your XML stylesheet with some
XSLT implementation other than SAXON. ;-)

I'm sorry - I think I'l not more participate in this thread.
If something is still not clear - I am ready to explain
it by mail.