   Re: Babel (again) or standard taqs and aliases (UDEF, Bizcodes)

  • From: "Frank Richards" <frichards@poet.com>
  • To: "Eric Bohlman" <ebohlman@netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 13:27:04 -0400

take away any significant market share.

> I think the key point here is that the buzz and hype is around the notion
> that a technology, all by itself, will result in a specific *social*
> change in the way companies do business with each other.  It's generally
> accepted that the key distinction between B2B commerce and retail commerce
> is that the former normally takes place between parties who have
> pre-existing relationships with each other, on terms negotiated through
> those relationships, whereas the latter takes place between parties who
> are essentially strangers to each other, on "my way or the
> highway" terms.  B2B transactions have a lot more context than retail
> transactions; the former are part of an ongoing, planned series of
> interactions whereas the latter are essentially independent of each other.

I think you're oversimplifying here. I seem to recall it being bandied about
that establishing a 'conventional' EDI link required an IT investment in the
hundreds of thousands of US dollars. Exclusive of any "working together"
investment. Independant of ideology or good will, this is simply beyond the
means of many organizations. The hope was that XML EDI could reduce this
cost by an order of magnitude.

There would be no effect on the relationship building or cooperation
involved, just a reduction in gruntwork.

Frank