   Re: file: URIs and MS Windows

  • From: tpassin@home.com
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:11:23 -0400

Richard Tobin asked a follow on question:
I can't find any justification for it; is there a generic URI
> rule anywhere that says a URI with no file://host part is equivalent to
the
> same with an empty string as the host?

Well, the RFC is very clear:  you either use "file://hostname/" (you may use
"localhost" for the local machine) or you use an empty string for the
hostname, getting "file:///".  Lets hope some else can enlighten us further.

Tom Passin