   Re: XMLization attempt at Infoworld

  • From: Michel Rodriguez <mrodrigu@ieee.org>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 10:20:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> On the other hand, despite the best wishes of the W3C, I'm finding it very
> hard to convince anyone except XMLers and a small core of Dynamic HTML folk
> that XHTML is worth the bother.  (I'm having a hard time convincing some
> XMLers that <br /> is worth it, as well.)
>
> I doubt we'll see any major sites genuinely moving to XHTML this year.
>
> This pessimism doesn't come from an XHTML-hater by any means - I just
> finished a book on XHTML and would like to see it have a long and
> prosperous future.
>
> I just don't see _anyone_ marketing XHTML as a solution to _problems_.
> "It's the next cool thing" and "hey, you can use all these nifty
> (unfamiliar, sometimes inadequate for XHTML) XML tools" isn't enough of a
> story by itself.
>
> Hopefully my book will help, but I have lots of concerns about whether
> readers are even interested in the topic.

OK, I am a hardcore XMLer (worse even, I am an SGMLer!) but I really like
XHTML. There are some basic features HTML does not offer that can be
solved so easily in XHTML! Like an <include src="file"/> tag.

The only thing that makes XHTML stay under most people's radar is that I
then process the XHTML and generate HTML, as I can't expect my readers to
use the latest browsers.

So for me XHTML is definitely a server-side format.

And yes I use <br />!

Michel Rodriguez
Senior Programmer-Analyst, Electronic Services
IEEE Standards Activities
m.v.rodriguez@ieee.org
http://www.xmltwig.cx