   RE: XML Connect.

  • From: "greg.coulombe" <greg.coulombe@inforonics.com>
  • To: "'Roland Dunn'" <roland@nykris.co.uk>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:20:58 -0400

I had a look at this product a few weeks ago and it looks to be a file
transfer program that uses an XML envelope but that's about it as far as the
XML goes. It can transfer any type of file with queuing and receipts and
such. This quote from their discussion list pretty well sums it up:

	Subject: RE: XML?

	Message:
	>What exactly does xml connect have to do with XML? Does it do any
type of
	>interrogation of the files that are transferred? Does it perform
any type of XML translation
	>between different formats or standards? It appears to me to be an
async secure ftp
	>product, or am I missing something?

	XML Connect is payload agnostic. You can move EDI, XML,, even GIFS
using XML Connect. XML Connect's enveloping 	structure is based on XML.
Both for sending documents and the digital, XML based receipt that is sent
back to 	the sender upon successful receipt of the document. XML
Connect does do interrogation of this envelope to then 	execute routing
instructions.

	Translation and transformation e.g. CBL to RosettaNet or CXML to EDI
is a more robust process and performed by 	OnDisplay's eBizXChange.

	Thanks

	Kevin

Hope that helps,

Greg