   Re: XML Spy and ICComNet

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline@rksystems.com>
  • To: Alexander Falk <falk@icon.at>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Alexander Falk wrote:

> XML Spy is at no time attempting to send any information out of your
> LAN, over the Internet, or do any other malicious deeds behind your
> back.

Thanks for addressing the concerns about your product.  However, you may
have another bug that you're unaware of, because as soon as I started up
the software, I got separate questions from my firewall, asking first if
I wanted to allow the software to connect with the internet and then
(after I said "No" to the first question) whether I wanted to allow it
to connect the the local network.  For software that only attempts to
connect to hosts on the local network the firewall does not ask the
first question, so your product may be attempting to do more than you
think it is.  (I also got a third question, asking if I wanted to allow
the software to act as a server.  Another "No.")

Bob Kline