   RE: XLink WD's Change Decision

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com>
  • To: "David Wang" <dwang@mitre.org>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:46:58 -0400

I'm a co-chair and co-editor of the Linking specs, and have been involved
in the Linking work since the beginning, so hopefully I can provide some
"institutional memory."

I'm a little confused about the idea that we originally planned to support
a lot of sophisticated behavior; as the March 1998 draft says, "XLink does
not provide mechanisms for controlling link formatting because it is
considered to fall into the domain of stylesheets."  The extensive examples
of link formatting and behavior in the introduction to Section 6 were
supplied just to show the range of variation possible.

I can tell you that over the years, we've see-sawed back and forth about
whether to put in the behavior attributes at all!  At the time the March
1998 draft was written, we innocently thought they should be there and
should be normative.  Later, we backed off and made them "hints."  Now
we've (jadedly :-) returned to making them normative, or at least as
normative as HTML is, and we carefully specify typical cases when you
wouldn't want to apply them.

In general, the group still feels that stylesheets and other processing are
more appropriate for providing the full range of possible linking
behavior.  We anticipate that element GIs and role attributes will provide
enough information about the links' types to enable the application of
serious behavior.  Also, you can mix non-XLink attributes with your XLink
ones, and, with show="other" and actuate="other", alert your application to
look for and do something with your extra attributes.

Best regards,

         Eve

From: David Wang

Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com