   Re: XML Spy and ICComNet

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline@rksystems.com>
  • To: Alexander Falk <falk@icon.at>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:36:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Alexander Falk wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I will certainly have our engineers look into this on Monday. Could you
> please send information on what sort of firewall product you are using to us
> at mailto:beta@xmlspy.com so that we can try to reproduce this behavior or
> contact the firewall vendor.
>
> If you are using a personal-style firewall (i.e. one installed on your local
> machine) this question may simply be one that is always asked when a
> software sends any _broadcast_ packet. As I explained in my last message,
> ICComNet is sending a couple of UDP broadcast datagrams upon startup -
> normally such packets are not routed beyond the local network segment, so
> I'm rather curious why your firewall should pose this question at all.

The firewall is from ZoneAlarm.  I suspect the problem is that in the
context of DSL services, the local network I have established between my
own machines and the "local network segment" which includes machines
controlled by other customers of my service provider are not at all the
same thing.  I don't want any of my machines broadcasting *anything* to
those other machines (and vice versa).  I gather you addressed this
issue (correctly) for dialup connections, since you say the software
doesn't do any broadcasting in that context, and the in-between land of
DSL just hasn't been thought through yet.

[BTW, I suspect this is sufficiently on topic and of interest to enough
on the list to keep the thread here, but if you think otherwise, Peter,
just say so, and we can take the rest of the exchange off-line.]

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline@rksystems.com