   RE: conventions for case of names?

  • From: "DuCharme, Robert" <Robert.DuCharme@moodys.com>
  • To: "'nikozu@mailcity.com'" <nikozu@mailcity.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 11:35:47 -0400

>"proper noun" form for element types and all lower-case for attribute
names.

The possibility had occurred to me when looking over UML and its immediate
predecessors, but I haven't seen anyone else use it for XML.

>P.S.  It's your project -- what works best for you?  Isn't this the real
beauty of XML vs. HTML and
>other "standard" markup syntax?

No particular way is clearly better for now, which is why I'm curious about
practices that may or may not be settling in out there. If either of two
ways works fine, then going with the way more consistent with the practice
of others can help interoperability (even if it just means human readability
when using names from multiple namespaces) with other systems.

An interesting debate here was about the value of starting with uppercase so
that Hungarian prefixes (see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/hunganotat.htm for a nice summary)
could be prepended when useful, but "when useful" broke down, since they
deal with a lower level of abstraction.

(And thanks for cc'ing me--I'm still not getting regular xml-dev postings;
it looks like I have to resubscribe.)

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii