   Re: Intel's XML Engines

  • From: Jonathan Robie <Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
  • To: "Abjanic, John" <john.abjanic@software-ag.de>, "'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:57:37 -0500

At 09:01 AM 5/15/00 -0700, Abjanic, John wrote:

>The Intel NetStructure  7210 XML Accelerator and 7280 XML Director
>network appliances announced last week at Networld + Interop both
>have the same XML engine for processing XML data streams. It is designed
>to handle any XML 1.0 based language, including cXML, CBL, and BizTalk.
>At this point we are "burning-in" only specific XML based languages, but
>rather are talking a general purpose approach to provide interoperability
>for any XML system

I'm afraid the above description does not give me a very concrete idea what
exactly these devices do. How exactly do these chips process XML data
streams? Do they optimize pattern matching for XSLT, or do they associate
business logic with structures, or generate SAX events from a stream, or
provide hardware support for the DOM, or what?

In general, what kinds of XML processing are good candidates for special
purpose hardware support?

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Robie