   FW: News from ebXML meeting in Brussels

  • From: "Dick Brooks" <dick@8760.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 18:57:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xmledi-list@lists.bizserve.com
[mailto:owner-xmledi-list@lists.bizserve.com]On Behalf Of
AlanKotok@cs.com
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2000 4:41 PM
To: xmledi-list@lists.bizserve.com
Subject: News from ebXML meeting in Brussels

TO:  XML/edi Group

ebXML' release about its Brussels meeting that ended Friday.

Alan Kotok
AlanKotok@cs.com
http://pages.hotbot.com/books/alankotok/

===================================

May 15, 2000 11:19

ebXML Moves Forward on Defining Global Electronic Business Infrastructure

Brussels, Belgium--(BUSINESS WIRE)--15 May 2000--

  Meeting in Europe Produces Approved Requirements Specification and
               Proof-of-Concept Messaging Demonstration

Significant progress in standardizing a global XML electronic business
infrastructure was unveiled at the latest ebXML meeting in Europe last week
hosted by CEN/ISSS. Under the guidance of UN/CEFACT and OASIS, electronic
business experts representing standards organizations, industry consortia
and
companies from around the world gathered in Brussels for a working meeting
that marked the six-month point in the initiative's 18-month charter.
Highlights of the meeting included the approval of the ebXML Requirements
Specification and a proof-of-concept demonstration for the routing and
enveloping of ebXML messages.

"We are very pleased with the ebXML progress to date," said Klaus-Dieter
Naujok, Chair of ebXML and Member of the UN/CEFACT Steering Committee. "The
roadmap to achieving interoperability and integration of business services
has been defined. We are making great strides toward accomplishing our
objectives through the approval of specifications and delivery of
prototypes."

In an open plenary at the conclusion of the Europe meeting, participants
approved the ebXML Requirements Specification defining the full scope of the
initiative. Prior to the vote, the Specification had been available 60 days
for public review.

"The Requirements Specification will serve as the foundation for the
Initiative, setting the scope for the other ebXML project teams as they
develop the technical specifications for the ebXML framework," explained
Michael C. Rawlins, Leader of the ebXML Requirements Team.

The ebXML Transport, Routing and Packaging Project Team successfully
demonstrated a proof-of-concept in which sample OpenTravel Alliance (OTA)
business messages were exchanged between a small company and a large
enterprise. The messaging prototype implemented the draft ebXML
specification
for exchange of business documents between trading partners using the
everyday Internet Web and e-mail protocols, HTTP and SMTP. The demonstration
also integrated output from the ebXML Business Process and Registry and
Repository Project Teams.

"ebXML is not technology for technology's sake. Our motivation is to provide
genuine business solutions that enable global trade," said Rik Drummond,
leader of the ebXML Transport, Routing and Packaging Project Team. "We are
very aware of the time-critical nature of our objectives. We're producing
drafts, prototyping and integrating work from other ebXML project teams now
so that we can give businesses the solutions they need as soon as possible."

"Support for the ebXML effort continues to grow at a tremendous rate.
Representatives from virtually all the leading industry standards
organizations actively participate in ebXML, and we are coordinating our
development efforts with their work," noted Dr. Robert S. Sutor, Vice-Chair
of ebXML and Chief Strategy Officer of OASIS. "The meeting in Brussels
attracted almost twice as many attendees as our previous gathering, with
participants from many European and global organizations."

Participation in ebXML remains open to all interested parties. Current
information on all the ebXML project teams is available on www.ebxml.org.

About ebXML

ebXML (www.ebXML.org) is an International Initiative established by
UN/CEFACT
and OASIS in late 1999 with a mandate to undertake an 18-month program of
work to research and identify the technical basis upon which the global
implementation of XML (Extensible Markup Language) can be standardized. The
goal of ebXML is to facilitate open trade between organizations regardless
of
size by enabling XML to be used in a consistent manner to exchange
electronic
business data.

About UN/CEFACT

UN/CEFACT (www.uncefact.org) is the United Nations body whose mandate covers
worldwide policy and technical development in the area of trade facilitation
and electronic business. Headquartered in Geneva, it has developed and
promoted many tools for the facilitation of global business processes
including UN/EDIFACT, the international EDI standard. Its current work
programme includes such topics as Simpl-edi and Object Oriented EDI and it
strongly supports the development and implementation of open, interoperable
global standards and specifications for electronic business.

About OASIS

OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org) is a non-profit, international consortium
dedicated solely to product-independent data and content interchange.
Focusing on product interoperability, OASIS embraces the complete spectrum
of
structured information standards including XML, SGML and CGM. OASIS sponsors
include Adobe Systems, Aerospatiale, AND-USA, Arbortext, BEA Systems,
Bentley
Systems, Boeing, Bowstreet, Bridge, Chrystal Software, Cohesia, Commerce
One,
CommerceNet, CompTIA, Corel, DataChannel, DMSi, Documentum, Dun &
Bradstreet,
eCredit.com, Enigma, eXcelon, Extricity Software, GCA, Health Level Seven,
IBM, InformIT, Informix, InterCAP, Interleaf, Interwoven, ISOGEN, ITEDO,
JetForm, Keyfile, Logistics Management Institute, Mercator Software,
Microsoft, NextPage, NII Enterprise Promotion Association, Nimble.com, NIST,
Object Management Group (OMG), Open Applications Group, Pick Systems, POET
Software, ProNet Technology Partners, Reed Technology, Reuters, Sabre, SAP,
Sequoia Software, SoftQuad, Software AG, STEP, StreamServe, Sun
Microsystems,
Synthbank, Visa, Wavo, Webb Interactive Services, webMethods, Whitehill
Technologies, Xerox, XMLSolutions and XyEnterprise.

     CONTACT:  OASIS
               Carol Geyer, 941/926-2322
               carol.geyer@oasis-open.org
                  or
               UN/CEFACT
               Hans Hansell, +41 22 917 2457
               Hans.Hansell@unece.org

               Leave the subject blank, and
               In the body of the message, enter ONLY: unsubscribe

Questions/requests should be sent to: owner-xmledi-list@bizserve.com
To join the XML/EDI Group complete the form located at:
http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Floor/5815/mail1.htm