   Re: XML Notation PI

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: "Pierre, Sebastian" <spierre@Rational.Com>, XML-Dev ML <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 20:42:09 -0400

At 04:31 PM 05/15/2000 -0700, Pierre, Sebastian wrote:
>Does anybody know if there are some standard Public Identifiers for
>notations of common type (PNG, SVG...) ?

They're not public IDs, but John Cowan has a terrifically useful resource at:
    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/media-types.dtd
Basically a collection of NOTATION declarations and associated SYSTEM IDs
for hundreds of Internet media types. For instance:
    <!NOTATION image_png
    SYSTEM
'http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/image/png'>
for PNG images. (I didn't see SVG in there, but the file was last updated
in March 1999 so there may note have been an "official" system ID for SVG
back then.)