   Re: Ambiguity in XML spec

  • From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 19 May 2000 15:56:12 GMT

In article <eshaisg6indaqmicvoif0dtiunmjcoagd4@4ax.com>,
Steve Schafer <pandeng@telepath.com> wrote:

>>The grammar in the spec describes the language correctly, and the
>>productions in question can be used directly with compiler-generators
>>like yacc.
>
>That's simply not true. yacc generates parsers for LALR(1) grammars,
>and the grammar in the XML spec is not LALR(1), unless, as I mentioned
>earlier, you omit at least some of the regular expression-based
>productions.

That's why I said "the productions in question".  The problem of
context-dependent tokenisation is a more general one, affecting
many productions.  All the DTD keywords have this problem.

Of course, with yacc and lex you can use "lexical tie-ins" to handle
the context-dependent tokenisation.

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson