   Re: Requirements for semantic web

  • From: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
  • To: "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com>, "Ashvil" <ashvil@i3connect.net>, <xml-dev@xml.org>, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 13:34:43 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
To: W. E. Perry <wperry@fiduciary.com>; Ashvil <ashvil@i3connect.net>;
xml-dev@xml.org <xml-dev@xml.org>
Date: Friday, May 19, 2000 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: Requirements for semantic web

>At 12:35 PM 5/19/00 -0400, W. E. Perry wrote:
>>As the term 'Semantic Web" is so closely associated with Tim Berners-Lee,
the
>>Director of the W3C, the locus classicus should surely be his own
explication
>>at
>>http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Semantic.html
>
>That's more technically specific than the chapter I noted earlier, though
>again, it should be noted that the focus is on RDF and RDF schemas, with
>XML pretty much included as a file format.

It does build on RDF as that is the previous layer explained.  When making
a higher order logic language, though, RDF can be hte base formally but not
practically.  One needs to define new XML namespaces for the logic,
as I have played with in http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Toolbox.

We don't have a white paper on the semantic web and we really need one.
So many things to do.... I hope one will be forthcoming by the end of the
summer.