   Re: Names of Human Beings (was: XML DTD Creation)

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • To: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:06:48 -0400

Kay Michael wrote:

> IIRC the X.500/X.509 data model for personal names is about as thoroughly
> researched as they come: don't reinvent the wheel.

Well, I'm looking at RFC 2256, which contains a handy summary.
It draws on X.509 among other X.5xx standards.  The core attributes
for the "person" class are commonName and surname, just what I was
discussing as cname and sname elements.

X.520 defines "givenName", "initials", and "generationQualifier"
attributes, but oddly not "middleName".  None of these are used
in the "person" class, nor in its standard subclasses "organizationalPerson"
and "residentialPerson".

So what wheel is it that I should not reinvent?

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>