   Re: Errata in XHTML 1.0

  • From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 22 May 2000 17:46:04 GMT

Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
>  xml:space   (preserve)     #FIXED 'preserve'

As others have said, there will be an XML 1.0 erratum shortly to explicitly
allow (preserve) and (default).

>A fixed value of preserve does not seem to be allowed.

I haven't heard anyone argue before that a #FIXED value should not be
allowed; only that it was unclear whether the enumeration itself could
include only one.  I think it would have been better for XHTML to do

  xml:space   (default|preserve)     #FIXED 'preserve'

which clearly documents that it is restricting the choice to one of
the two that would otherwise be allowed.  However, it's too late
for that.

I was more surprised to learn that the WML 1.2 DTD has

  xml:space CDATA #FIXED "preserve"

which is clearly in violation of the XML spec.  Bernard Petit, who
told me about it, is going to propose to the WAP forum that this
be changed.  (I know nothing about WAP or WML myself.)

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson