   ANN: VirtualXML ConCourse - a unique learning environment

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 23:15:06 +0100

The VirtualXML ConCourse is an electronic learning community for XML and
registration for the first 3 month session is now open.  XML-DEV has shown
that the virtual environment can produce a community of experts and a
spirit in which unique achievements can be created. The founders, Peter
Murray-Rust and Henry Rzepa, have now extended this concept to include
newcomers to XML. In our "ConCourse" everyone can experience the same
atmosphere and excitement in a learning environment.

The ConCourse has a very rich XML environment with lots for everyone. It
creates a collaborative approach where you share your knowledge, expertise
and experience with others who have complementary skills. Whether you have
no previous knowledge of XML, or have successfully mastered some of the
basics your horizons and creativity will expand. The ConCourse's self-paced
learning path has many options for personal diversion and self assessment
on the way. Tutorial guidance is completely electronic, including the
leading WebCT system.

Although membership is by subscription, some of our specially prepared
material is publicly available.   All materials, including the ConCourse
itself,  are created in XML and you can see:
	- examples of the ConCourse architecture
	- XML over the wire (including SVG and CML)
	- A glossary of XML terms - in XML
	- examples of our detailed tutorial and installation instructions
	- slide shows and talks about XML, created in XML
	- rendering and printing XML

Our approach is through communal projects, discussion and "learning by
doing". Members receive a 350 MByte CDROM to give members a very wide
variety of XML tools so they can carry out all basic XML operations. We
give detailed instructions on how to load, run, and interpret results. The
CDROM also contains the complete searchable archives of XML-DEV until 2000-02.

We are delighted to announce that we have been joined in the ConCourse by:

	Ken Holman, Crane Softwrights Ltd.
	Simon St. Laurent

Ken and Simon are leading figures in XML and have written, tutored and
lectured copiously. Ken is the author of an unique set of electronic
material for XSLT, and Simon is the author of several best selling XML
books. They will be joining us to share their insights into XML and to
provide the latest news and views on key areas.

The VirtualXML ConCourse is at http://nt.venus.co.uk:8900/public/xml01/ and
the VirtualXML ConCourse public arena at http://www.cmlconsulting.com/.

Peter Murray-Rust. (CML, VHG and XML-DEV)
CMLC and VirtualXML ConCourse: http://www.cmlconsulting.com/
CML http://www.xml-cml.org/
Virtual HyperGlossary http://www.vhg.org.uk/