   RE: Order in an XML document

  • From: Michel Rodriguez <mrodrigu@ieee.org>
  • To: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:32:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> >                       option 1  option 2
> >
> > [1] A and B are not in  undef    undef
> >     the same document
> > [2] A is before B       -1        -1
> > [3] B is before A        1         1
> > [4] A and B are equal    0         0
> > [5] A is within B        0         1 (B starts before A)
> > [6] B is within A        0        -1 (A starts before B)
>
> Could you provide some additional information on how you're
> distinguishing between the different categories?
>
> E.g.:
>
> Is [5] := <A><B/></A> ?
> Is [2] := <A/><B/>    ?

[2] <A>...</A>...<B>...</B>
[5] <B>...<A>...</A>...</B>

Note that A and B are elements, not element type, they could perfectly
have the same gi.

And I was looking for a "standard" way to do simple comparisons, without
delving into axes, so I guess using the document order (option 2 is
probably an acceptable solution).

No matter which one I choose anyway there will be situation where
something like

if( $a->after( $b) || $a->in( $b)  ) { ... } (option 1)

or (for a different case)

if( $a->after( $b) && !$a->in( $b) ) { ... } (option 2)

will be needed.

Michel