   Re: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

  • From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
  • To: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:37:59 -0800

John Cowan wrote:

> > May I suggest that what
> > you call the 2d edition follow the naming convention in XML 1.0, and
> > be titled "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1" or "1.0.1," whatever
> > number suits the editors?
>
>A change to the XML version number would make existing 1.0 XML
>parsers unable to cope.  Since we are not making incompatible
>changes, a new version would be inappropriate.

For that there is a precedent in CSS1 [1]. It is a "revision" with no
outward sign of its update except in its subtitle, in the "Status of
this document" section, and the addition of Appendix F. "Edition" is
an attractive metaphor, but using it means introducing another term
or vector, like adding an aisle at a new angle in a bookstore. Of
course, I defer to the editors, thanks.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1
--
Susan Lesch