   RE: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition - incorrect characters

  • From: Eldar Musayev <eldarm@microsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:08:35 -0700

Seeing such a support for this decision I tend to agree with
treating incorrect characters as _fatal_ errors.
I've being accused for trying to take a shortcut, but I'm not.
As _implementor_ I'd love to treat these errors as fatal,
when you do all the things right in a parser, it's much more
easy to treat them this way.

However I still see it as not the best thing for XML technology
overall. Because of the problems I already mentioned in previous
message. When most people in a world will move to UTF-8/16 for
their text needs, it will not make a difference. But right now
this requirement may decrease convenience and slow down adoption
of XML technologies in multinational markets. One of my opponents
mentioned that his system must be able to work with Spanish, however
Spanish, German, French and other Western European languages are
not the challenge. The problem arises when you come to Japan, China
and Russia - three major areas with completely non-latine character
sets, and in case of China and Japan (as well as other Far
East countries) even not alphabet-based. It was already mentioned
in this list that in China it often happens when content of
XML files is just "cut-and-paste" piece of HTML. We all tend to
see programmatic side of XML, and to miss the document side of it.

Anyway, if XML comunity is going to simplify my life, who am I to argue?

Eldar