   Oops, it's patented

  • From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 23:25:07 +0100

Is this just a joke, or are these guys really trying to patent using a
schema to give a choice of legal elements in an editor?

>From http://www.vtopia.com/products/markup/

 The XML editor in Visual Markup employs our patent-pending
 "content-sensitive editing" feature which understands the structure
 of a document, and provides the author with a choice of the allowable
 elements at any given point in the document.

Follow the link to "content-sensitive editing" and you get

 Content-sensitive editing is a technique we use to assist you in
 creating valid documents. The Visual Markup document editor compares
 a document against its schema, and suggests the appropriate element
 types that can be inserted at a given point in a document. Since
 Visual Markup understands both the document and its schema, Visual
 Markup can limit its suggestions to only those element types that are
 valid.

-- Richard