   Re: Software patent debate: we lose round one

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:59:33 -0500

Kay Michael wrote:

> >Third, perhaps the term for patents should be set on a
> >per-patent basis?
>
> Copyright too... If copyright were to expire after a million copies have
> been sold, the developer would still get a fair return and anti-trust trials
> would be unnecessary.

That reminds me of one of my sigs.

Still, what if it takes two million sales of Tomb Raider to recover the
development costs? You just don't make Tomb Raider?

At the same moment that the Justice Department and the Federal Trade
Commission are trying to restrict the negative consequences of
monopoly, the Commerce Department and the Congress are helping to
define new intellectual property rights, rights that have a
significant potential to create new monopolies. This is the policy
equivalent of arm-wrestling with yourself.
	- http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/04/07/greenspan/index.html