   Re: Parser Question.

  • From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 31 May 2000 22:59:31 GMT

In article <B1C2D4514427D2118C2E00104B3054A4D636DD@mail.upshot.com>,
Brown, Bryan <bryanb@upshot.com> wrote:

>A parser should issue an error because the entity decl in the internal
>subset references a notation "gif" which has not yet been declared.

The notation declaration doesn't have to appear before the notation
is referred to in an entity declaration.  You could have this:

 <!ENTITY picture SYSTEM "picture.gif" gif>
 <!NOTATION gif PUBLIC "gifviewer.exe">

>So the question is, if you are validating do you do anything with the
>Standalone Decl, and if so when in the parsing process (everytime you parse
>an entity,attribute, and element content)?

It's complicated.  You have to note whether each declaration is
"external", which means it occurs in the external subset or in an
(internal or external) parameter entity.  You have to check
each entity reference - an internal reference may not refer to
an externally declared entity.  You have to check attributes to see
that their defaults and normalisation are not affect by external
ATTLIST declarations.  You have to check that there is no whitespace
in element-only content where the element declaration is external
(since it would be ignorable if the declaration was read).

NB there are errata relating to this, see
  http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata.

(continued in next message)

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson