   Re: Netscape rendering of XSLT

  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:46:07 +0200

Simon Pockley wrote:

> I'm using a table to display xml data and xt to transform into HTML so that
> people can see it in Netscape.
>
> Does anyone know of a reason why a <br/> within <td> (post transform) is not
> recognised by Netscape?

Because it's not a correct HTML tag and that most of the "older"
browsers do not recognize <br/> (they are waiting for <br> and will
accept <br /> though).

This case is listed with other similar in the appendix C (HTML
compatibility guidelines) of the XHTML 1.0 recommendation
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines).

To make your output work, you can either :

- select HTML as your output method (this will generate HTML instead of
XML, removing the closing tags for the "br" element).
- use the XHTML output handler available on 4xt
(http://4xt.paris.dyomedea.com/downloads/examples/outputhandlers/xhtml/)
which will generate XHTML compliant with the compatibility guidelines.

> Seems to work in I.E. OK.
>
> I must be missing something?

Not at all, its a question which anyone wanting to generate XHTML has to
face.

> Hope this is not too basic for this list?

I don't think so ;)

> Best
> Simon Pockley

Hope this helps.