   looking for a magic bullet

  • From: Susan McCreary <Susan.McCreary@imagesoft-technologies.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:46:32 -0400

My company is looking to deploy an XML based project within a few short
weeks.
We have no in-house XML expertise or experience.  I have been trying to
research as much as possible
and am fairly confused by competing standards and tools (DOM vs. SAX, XML
Schema vs DTDs, CSS vs
XSL, etc.).   Basically, we are converting various text documents to XML
format which will ultimately somehow be rendered within Java applets.  The
rendered text will include hyperlinks which need to retrieve associated
image files stored in our database (accessible via JDBC, ODBC, etc.)

I do realize that no magic bullet exists, but I'm wondering if anyone can
recommend a good
starting point or middleware.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Susan McCreary