   Re: XT, OpenSource and altruistic effort

  • From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
  • To: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:15:58 +0200

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 08:33:55PM +0100, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> 	- XLink. Until we have some generic tools I don't think we shall know how
> XLink is going to be used. Are there OpenSource efforts here? Not easy,
> because I suspect XLink will have context dependencies in many cases and be
> an integral part of applications.

  I understand that Mozilla now has support for XLink simple links
but I didn't checked it yet.
It seems some part of XLink may be implemented in Amaya (I'm looking
for a link set implementation used to annotate documents in that
framework).
I also did some propaganda in the Gnome group but we need a an XML
renderer first, there is some work going on but it definitely takes
time. I want to see a destop environment talking full use of XLink
but this would impacts a lot of code, and I'm not sure how many years
it will take.
  I'm mostly in touch with people doing C code, I would be interested
in feedback from Java oriented communities too, maybe they will make
it happen a bit faster.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW