   Re: RSS 0.91 restated

  • From: Laird A Popkin <laird@io.com>
  • To: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:44:08 -0500 (CDT)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. ICE doesn't use Namespaces of
XML Schema (since, among other things, they're not fully baked/widely
implemented) and isn't a dialect of RDF. Or are you talking about the
politics involved in any major revision of RSS, distinct from ICE?

Thus far the ICE AG has been amazingly free of politics, and
(unofficially) the concensus of the ICE AG is fairly positive about the
idea of working towards a single syndication standard.

In terms of simplicity, I think that (as I wrote in my "RSS in ICE"
document, http://www.io.com/~laird/rss-in-ice.html) it would be critical
to clearly define the subset of ICE so that implementors could have clear
guidance on what they'd need to implement to support the "give away
promotional content" model (i.e. RSS) as opposed to the "controlled
distribution of content" model (i.e. ICE's extended capabilities).

I'd hate to see RSS invent parallel mechanisms to ICE's existing
capabilities, just the same as I'd hate to see ICE invent parallel
mechanisms to RSS' existing mechanisms. That's why I think it's worth our
time to work out a single means of expressing these capabilities...