   Re: The Origins of XML

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:55:59 +0800

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Tim Bray writes:
>  > >cf http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-961114.html.
>  >
>  > Argh, I hope you're being sarcastic.  Jon deserves the most credit for
>  > getting the processed launched.
>
> Yes. Jon kicked it. You and Michael edited the first draft. People
> like James and the rest of the group put in loads of intellectual
> effort. I really don't see how the NY Times piece is misrepresenting
> that.

And, with respect, the effort in XML was in reviewing, restating,
rebranding and relaunching an existing technology, not in original work.
Jon Bosak is the father of XML, but only as a foster father; Charles
Goldfarb et al (from IBM, GCA, ISO, etc.) developed almost all the ideas
and forms.  Credit where it is due!

XML isn't an invention, its a distillation.

Rick Jelliffe