   Re: The problem with typography (with or without flow objects)

  • From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 14 Jun 2000 13:19:36 +0200

> David Megginson writes:

>> Note that the common thread running through these examples is a
>> sacrifice in quality in exchange for an increase in quantity -- in
>> other words, a democratization of knowledge.

> and is this regarded as a good thing, then?

I'd say yes.

> hands up all those who think that the truly amazing amount of
> information on the web is balanced by the utter uselessness and
> wrongness of most of it :-}

I don't think it is.  When the information is out there and is
searchable, semi-automatic moderation schemes, such as the Google
search engine (www.google.com), will help to dig out the correct
information from the useless.

That said: with "Border affair" spinning on the CD right now, it still
bugs me that Google is unable to turn up the ultimate Lee Clayton fan
page.  :-/  Surely he would have deserved one...?

 "I'm gonna find me a reckless woman
  With razor blades and dice in her eyes
  With just a touch of sadness in her fingers
  And thunder and lightning in her thighs"

Ah well!