   Software for indexing & querying XML

  • From: "Laurent Bossavit" <laurent@mmania.com>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:45:54 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to solicit pointers from XML-dev members to any software
packages (free, open, commercial; for Unix, Windows, or other) with
the following base capabilities :
* multi-user server software
* index entire collections of XML documents
* perform "complex" queries over the indexed collection (where
"complex" implies a query language such as XQL or a reasonable
facsimile thereof)

Please note that I'm *not* including in the set outlined above
software such as eXcelon or Oracle 8i, which can perform XQL or
structured searches on *individual* documents. (eXcelon does "cross-
document searches" but this relies on maintaining so-called "binder
documents" - this is not a viable option for the particular project
I'm evaluating).

I'm currently aware of the following packages; please help me
complete this list if you know of any other that satisfies the above
requirements.

XML Query Engine (http://www.fatdog.com)
Recently announced here, in-memory indexes with XQL queries, Java,
commercial closed-source.

Xdex (http://www.xmlindex.com)
Persistent indexes, XQL and full-text queries, Windows NT, commercial
closed-source.

TEXTMLServer (http://www.ixiasoft.com)
Persistent indexes, enhanced full-text queries, Windows NT,
commercial closed-source.

Thanks in advance,

Laurent Bossavit     -     Ing‚nieur R&D
MultiMania     http://www.multimania.fr/