   Re: Future of Formatting Objects (XSL/FO)

  • From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: peter@ursus.demon.co.uk
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:45:07 +0100 (BST)

Peter Murray-Rust writes:
 > So why can't FOP have the same dynamics? If a group of committed people
 > want to drive it forward, what is lost?

I don't think anyone suggested that the FOP effort is anything other
than very laudauble and useful. The point at issue is whether XSL FO
is _theoretically_ capable of producing the high-quality formatting we
are used to. We pretty sure that SVG is as least as capabable as
PDF, because we can see the mapping between them. Half the attraction
of SVG is that is very clearly related to highly-successful vector formats.
I would claim that the jury is out on XSL FO.

Sebastian
(who, if it isn't obvious, is as committed to XSL FO as the next
man, since it eats up half my spare waking hours)