   RE: A or An

  • From: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
  • To: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>, xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:59:19 +0200

At 13:52 +0100 14/06/2000, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>[Are there languages where the XML acronyms or abbreviations are different
>from in English?]

For french people.
There are not different, we ususally use the english abbrevations but
pronounced in french... XML [icks - em - el] (a try for an english
representation of a french pronounciation !!! :-))
But we don't have problems for a or an because we usually put it in
the second place.
	An XML specification will become une spécification XML.

There's a strong need for a complete glossary with the meaning of
most important word. Since I've translated and I'm translating many
RECs [*] in french, there's sometime ambiguity for the french
equivalent of words.

It will be very usefull to have a glossary or dictionnary with the
meaning of each word that could be easily translated in others
languages as cornerstone for translators and users.

[*] http://www.la-grange.net/w3c/

--
Karl Dubost - http://www.la-grange.net/
Près de vous, madame, oubliant les cieux,