   RE: Localisation: Character Encodings & RDBMS, Unicode->UTF-8 with Ro un

  • From: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • To: "'Dylan Walsh'" <Dylan.Walsh@Kadius.com>, xml-dev@XML.ORG, rpbourret@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:24:28 -0700

Most databases provide Unicode support (e.g., nchar). Since UTF-8 is an
encoding where the unicode two-byte characters are mapped into a single-byte
character space such that for some characters two or three single-byte
characters are used, you of course can easily store UTF-8 as well in an
single-character string datatype. However, strlen functions are normally
oblivious to the fact that you actually have UTF-8 stored in the later case,
but just from a storage point of view, you should be able to roundtrip
either UTF-8 or Unicode.

I hope this helps
Michael Rys
--
Program Manager, SQL Server XML Technologies
mrys@microsoft.com, rys@acm.org