   Important: The SAX C++/C/COM Muddle

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:15:36 -0400

Eldar Musayev wrote:

> Microsoft implementation:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml
>
> It's non-java, but C++ and COM implementation, but it's fair to mention.

Yes, absolutely, and to cut off any anti-MS flames I'd like to mention
right now that Microsoft has been in touch with me several times since
January or February looking for a standard SAX/C++ API to implement and
that they even offered to fly me out to Redmond to talk to their
developers (I declined simply because I hate travelling) -- this is not
an embrace-and-destroy thing.

The problem is that there are several SAX-like C++ and COM
implementations floating around now, and they're not compatible (i.e.
they don't use the same *.h files) -- that's my fault, for simply not
having the time and energy to get this through before now.

The Perl and Python communities have settled on their own, standard
SAX-like interfaces without my help (i.e. there's only one core Perl SAX
interface and only one core Python SAX interface, though there's
higher-level stuff built on top), but the C++ world doesn't have the
same kind of collaborative culture, so it's going to need some guidance
from us.

For now, I think that it would be best to list C/C++/COM implementations
like Microsoft's and Apache's under a heading like "SAX Prototypes" or
"SAX-Like Interfaces" to avoid confusing people.  Does that sound fair
to everyone?

Thanks, and all the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/