   RE: Microsoft's Role in the XML Community (WAS RE: Important: The SAXC+

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Richard_Goerwitz@Brown.EDU
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:21:46 -0500

Ahh.. I understand now.  They broke the spirit of the
agreement to provide full interoperability.   That is
the sort of thing one documents and publishes in the
interest of the community of users to ensure all know
that if these features are used, *all warranties are null
and void* :-).   The trick in the long haul negotiations
of standards is to understand full wall-to-wall interoperation
is not usually sustained and tweaking (particularly
performance) is necessary.   We end up writing a lot
of language into our contracts over this.  In short,
while there are typically 1.25 ways to meet most
requirements we see, a lot of haggling can happen
over a quarter.

And as with the Java cup, if they aren't fully
interoperable, it is Microsoft's responsibility
to show its customers precisely where, and obligating
them to that responsibility is part of the purchase
of the product.  An average shrink wrap buyer can't
do that, but large institutions can, do, and must.
Making language available to those institutions for
that purpose is something MIT can do for its community
of users.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com