   Re: Another Question

  • From: Eric Bohlman <ebohlman@netcom.com>
  • To: Andrew Gorman <gormana@letu.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 19:59:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Andrew Gorman wrote:

> I'm quite new to the world of XML, and am doing research to learn more about
> the language.  It seems to me that XML can be adapted to whatever usage
> required, and it seems that it is renamed each time, or better put, a prefix
> is added.  If it is specifically used for advertising, it is called adxml,
> commerce is cxml.  Is this a common thing? And does this make it difficult
> to be viewed by other people? or is it that regardless of the prefix, the
> language doesn't change, and it is just its intended use that marks the
> difference.

Despite its name, XML isn't a language itself; it's a set of rules for
creating whole families of languages.  The rules are strict enough that
documents (data) in many different XML-derived languages can be processed
using generic tools and the definitions of the languages can be quite
informal, but the specific languages are still distinct.