   RE: Another Question

  • From: Tony Graham <tgraham@mulberrytech.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:48:26 -0400 (EST)

At 19 Jun 2000 17:46 -0400, John F. Schlesinger wrote:
 > XML's heritage is documents not data and so the idea of BER is new to those
 > from the SGML community. At the moment, all we get is the XML processing
 > directive with its encoding attribute.

BER is not unknown to the SGML community, but I've never seen it in
use with SGML.

According to the SGML Handbook, the SGML Document Interchange Format
(SDIF), defined in ISO 9069, "recommends the use of the ASN.1 basic
encoding rules but does not require them."

In your SGML System Declaration (another idea whose time has passed)
you can declare whether your system can pack or unpack SDIF streams
encoded according to the basic encoding rules.  However, most SGML
systems don't handle SDIF, let alone SDIF represented using BER.

I strongly doubt that SDIF was ever considered as a possible feature
to be included in XML.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632