   XML in other browsers and book suggestions

  • From: Jonas Korsakas <korsakas@engin.umich.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:36:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

(take cover... incoming newbie!)

I've just recently jumped into the world of XML.  I've made a couple of
web pages that display XML using XSL.  So is IE5 the only browser out
there that really supports XML?  What are all of you doing for the users
of the world that use non-XML browsers?  How do you access the XML and
display the same data for those users?  The only solution that I can see
for non-XML browsers is to have a CGI or something on the server-side that
parses the XML and spits back straight HTML.  Then for XML-capable
browsers, have the page display the XML using XSL.

Also, I was going to take a trip to the bookstore, do you have any
suggestions for good books on:

JavaScript (and the XML DOM)
XML and XSL (and writing C/C++ applications using XML COM objects)
ASP

Thanks a lot!

	John K.
	- XML newbie