   Re: Understanding filtering order...

  • From: tpassin@home.com
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:09:38 -0400

<kgoss@interactcommerce.com> asked

> I was wondering if someone could clarify how I can selectively filter my
XML
> document using XSL.  I'm using the MSXML parser, fyi.
>
> My question deals with template match and apply-templates usage.
>
> I know the structure of my XML, so I'm filtering progressively down "layer
> by layer" in a series of steps.  My question is this, if I use a series of
> xsl:template defnitions, does the next segment that follows work against
the
> results of the its predecessor?  Being unclear on this makes it hard for
me
> to really know "where am I" at each filter, so my queries are no good I
> think.  Someone showed me this approach yesterday, and I'm wondering when
> do the tempalte match="*" if I'm where I think (hope) I am.

 XSLT produces an output tree - the results of selection and applying the
templates.  The tree is serialized to the eventual output.  This tree is not
available to the stylesheet to be worked on further.  You can work with
intermediate results such as values or node sets, and pass variable contents
to templates.

If you need to work with the output tree, you can use several filters in
series.

Tom Passin