   RE: Sybase 12 versus eXcelon B2B Portal Server

  • From: "DuCharme, Robert" <Robert.DuCharme@moodys.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:02:58 -0400

>Why you are comparing Sybase's database engine to a portal product?

I think your question would be better addressed to Richard Ward, who made
the original posting asking about comparisons between Sybase 12 and
eXcelon's product. I wasn't comparing anything, but instead asking exactly
what kind of Sybase XML support he was alluding to.

>Here's an article on XML in the database engine:
>http://www.sybase.com/products/databaseservers/ase/whitepapers/L01064.pdf

I read this PDF when it came out many months ago and reviewed it before I
made my posting yesterday, and while my summary of it may be a bit flippant,
I stand by it: "Java is heavily integrated into Sybase 12, XML goes well
with Java, there's your XML support!" (plus a few little sample Java
classes). " By the latter, I meant the Jxml class described in the PDF file
as "a rudimentary class for XML storing and parsing. It performs no
validation of the XML document. This class is not intended for direct use in
SQL applications." The rest of the PDF gives background about XML, SQL, and
mapping them, with no mention of software provided by Sybase or built in to
Sybase 12 to ease XML integration.

We've been doing heavy database publishing around Sybase for years using
SGML. (Enterprise Information Portals aren't really an issue here. Neither
is wireless support.) All the integration between SGML and Sybase was
completely homegrown. We're in the process of converting to XML, and
Sybase's big XML talk (Sybase people came here to talk about all the
fabulous features of the upgrade) led me to believe that Sybase 12 would
have some built-in features to accommodate XML integration, but from what
I've seen of it so far, all the integration must continue to rely on code
written here for that purpose.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything about XML and Sybase 12 besides
http://www.sybase.com/products/databaseservers/ase/whitepapers/L01064.pdf?

thanks,

Bob