   Re: 8-bit text output version of XSV retired: new address for replacemen

  • From: davidk@lysator.liu.se (David Kågedal)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 22 Jun 2000 09:03:13 +0200

It seems like I'm misreading the Schema spec in a fundamental way, or
there is not support in XSV for local element definitions.  I couldn't
find anything about it not being implemented, though.

I wonder if some kind soul would care to enlighten me as to what I
have overlooked.

Consider the following short XML document:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<top xmlns="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small">
  <sub>foobar</sub>
</top>

This I managed to validate against the following schema:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsd:schema targetNamespace="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small"
	    xmlns:sm="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small"
	    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.xsd"
	    elementFormDefault="unqualified"
	    attributeFormDefault="unqualified">

  <xsd:element name="top">
    <xsd:complexType>
      <xsd:all>
	<xsd:element ref="sm:sub"/>
      </xsd:all>
    </xsd:complexType>
  </xsd:element>

  <xsd:element name="sub" type="xsd:string"/>

</xsd:schema>

However, when I tried to define "sub" locally, it didn't validate.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsd:schema targetNamespace="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small"
	    xmlns:sm="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small"
	    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.xsd"
	    elementFormDefault="unqualified"
	    attributeFormDefault="unqualified">

  <xsd:element name="top">
    <xsd:complexType>
      <xsd:all>
	<xsd:element name="sub" type="xsd:string"/>
      </xsd:all>
    </xsd:complexType>
  </xsd:element>

</xsd:schema>

These are the errors I get:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small.xml:6:3: Invalid per cvc-complex-type.1.2.4: element {http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small}:sub not allowed here in element {http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small}:top:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small.xml:6:3: Invalid per src-resolve: undeclared element {http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/xml/small}:sub

--
David Kågedal