   RE: SQL Schema to XML Schema generator [any out there?]

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 07:59:48 -0500

I tested the XML Spy evaluation copy yesterday and it
offered a variety of choices for the schema output.
It enables you to build an ODBC connection to the
database, lists the tables in the dbf, then lets
you import the data.  From the data, you can
generate a variety of schema formats or a DTD.
It inserts its own choice of structures (Import,
row, etc) but uses the names of the columns for
the elements.  It correctly detects the dt: values
and has some options for these as well.   Altogether,
this can save a considerable number of hours getting
started and does it well.  I wouldn't consider the
output final because of wanting to replace the
default structures and some other chores, but as
these as usage scenario dependent, it does a good
job of getting one started.

Nice code, Mr. Falk.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

Bob DeRemer <Bob.Deremer@wonderware.com> on 06/22/2000 07:10:01 AM

I know there are some tools that take SQL Schema and generate XML DTDs.
Does anyone know of a tool out there that generates an XML Schema?  I know
the schema stuff is not finalized yet, but that's OK for what I'm looking
for.  If there is something in Beta, I'd really like to look at it.  I want
to bootstrap an analysis project that needs to create an XML Schema [in the
MS environment, so I can leverage MSXML] for a SQL Server DB.  I'm trying to
avoid typing it all by hand.