   RE: Which elements can be root elements?

  • From: "DuCharme, Robert" <Robert.DuCharme@moodys.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:38:08 -0400

>I can't seem to determine how an XML DTD defines which elements can be
>root elements.  For example:
><!DOCTYPE a PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>                   "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

To add a little to what Paul wrote:

This is the main point of a DOCTYPE declaration. Your document starts with
this declaration that says (but not in this order) "here's my DTD, and
here's the element type in that DTD that will serve as the root of this
particular document."

DocBook is a great example, because it's highest possible level element type
is a the "set" element type, but no one would fire up an XML editor, load
the DocBook DTD, and then write a set of books; they probably won't even
pick "book" as their top level element. I usually use "chapter".

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii