   Re: [very personal analysis] .com, .net and .org

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:19:40 +0100

At 11:46 AM 6/27/00 -0400, mark hu wrote:
>Hi, guys:
>    Good afternoon, having lunch yet ?? First of all, I think this is a
>tech. site - not for this kind of discussion, and second, you should watch
>more closely to MS's new stuff, as a matter of fact - I like the way they
>are creating new things and that's the way to keep our world moving forward,
>no one can there's no any other better language besides JAVA in the very
>near future, and the points u are holding here, I can not agree fully -
>that's DO NOT SEE C# from JAVA's perspective, they all have their strong
>points and weaks ( u do not have to compile to .exe unless u need to , right
>??, cross platform ? why people use TJ with compiled JAVA code ?? ...), hope
>to hear more tech. comments instead of this kind of discussions, cheers.

I agree that in the first year or two of XML-DEV I would actively steer the
discussion towards the implementation issues, but for some time it has been
clear that wider issues have a role on the list. This has been particularly
true of the "semantic Web" where we are trying to work out how we want tor
transmit our human culture via machines. We still have some way to go, but
I think the postings have clarified people's thoughts and informed the
deliberations of those who create the technical specs.

The discussion under this subject line is towards the fringes of XML-DEV
subjects, but we have a tradition of promoting meritocracy and plurality -
"XML" is the better for it. Normally these discussions have a way of
self-limitation.

	P.